Monday, February 21, 2005

Night of the Hunter...

Today I heard the sad news that Hunter S. Thompson committed suicide with a self inflicted gunshot wound. Now for those of you who don't know, Mr. Thompson is most famous for his book "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"...you know, the movie with Johnny Depp?! (sadly I know some people went "Oh! THAT guy!" when I threw monsieur Depp's name out there) I always found the cat amusing and I'm probably a couple of generations deep from people who've admired him for years beyond my existence. Perhaps it has more of an impact because the artists I grew up with are slowly dropping dead. From Joe Strummer, Hunter S. Thompson and River Phoenix. The people we spent our adolescence with are leaving us behind to drown in the personas of people like Brittney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, J.Lo, Good Charlotte and any famous guy who's starred in a movie with these folks or who's worn a baseball cap that's 2 sizes too big sideways.

So today this will be my only post and I will have all others available tomorrow. This is in observance of H.S.T.'s death.

To you Mr. Thompson I bid thee farewell. Good night sweet drunk, stoned, crazy prince.

DJB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home